Friday, October 7, 2011

Once More Unto The Breach

After a bit of a hiatus, I remembered that I had a blog here. I've got two others that I remembered: my shaving/honing blog at www.easternsmooth.com/blog and my Japanese blog at http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/orionsbowone, but this one...

I'm not sure what it's for anymore. It used to be for stories and reviews, and I guess it still is. But recently, I think I just need something to keep my brain moving. I'm aging, and things are slowing down under my thinning hair, and I need to nip that crap in the bud.

One way I'm trying to do that is I've started working on copyediting skills. Copyediting, you say? Whyever would you do that?

Well, I reply, think about it. It involves careful reading and detailed consideration of every word, punctuation mark, sentence and paragraph of a text. It's not just looking at grammar and spelling mistakes, it's looking at logical connection and arrangement, and tweaking things to work better. It is, to be honest, my favorite part of the job I already do (as a Business English teacher, I spend a lot of time correcting and rewriting reports and presentations) so if I can turn that into some kind of sharpened skill, and perhaps even get some money for it, why not?

And thus I return to this blog, as a way to limber up my word-brain, blow the dust out of the linguistic pipes a bit and see if I can't mix more metaphors to describe the fact that I'm going to spend more times with words for words' sake.

So hello again, and let's see if we can't make this a bit more fruitful, ok?

No comments: