Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Cup Runneth Over

So I've been reading a lot. Reading books both good and bad--keeping them straight is a bit of a task sometimes. But mostly good; I figure, if I want to write, I have to know what writing is.

Right now, I am in the middle of:
The Atrocity Archives, by Charles Stross.
dhalgren, by Samuel R. Delaney
Down the Mysterly River, by Bill Willingham (this one is available for free on Wowio, but they are currently down for global retooling--so, you know, check it out sometime.)

I plan on doing a pretty detailed review of most of the books I read from now on; it's good brainwork. So look here for a review of the Stross book in the near future. After that, I'm thinking of doing a sort of cross-analysis/comparative review of dhalgren and Gene Wolfe's Peace. It may just be that I read them in close succession, but they seem to have a lot in common. In my head, they are taking on this antipodean relationship--opposite poles of the inner life of man in extremis.

--------

My productivity spurt continues apace, with more short story work and two critiques at the Online Writing Workshop for SF, fantasy and Horror. Where's all this coming from?
Where can I get more?
I really hope I can start posting novel chapters soon. I worry about it, though; I've not got the best attention span, and a novel is a big undertaking. Part of me wants to continue with short stories a while before I go for the big leagues.

Hrrrm....

No comments: